Wednesday, January 29, 2014

New State of Mind

I am still here!! Sorry it has been so long since I have posted, I was running with my friend last night and he told me I really need to update my blog.  I didn't realize how long it has been.  I got the flu right at the start of the new year and that knocked me down for a little while, but I am back and ready to share.


This was me for about 2 weeks!!






So this is a new year and my focus is on continual improvement for myself.  I want to improve in many so many ways.  Of course I want to continue to get stronger, faster, and healthier.  But, one of my major goals outside of the usual goals is to be a positive person.


I am surrounded by so many positive people and I just feel better when I am around them.  They make me want to be just as positive as they are. 

I was running with a good friend of mine last night, he and I are running a half marathon on Sunday (along with the hubs and other friends).  He is going to try to pace me to run the race in 2:15, this would be a big PR for me, but I asked him to help me.  Well, we started our run and right away my mind started to think about how we were running too fast, that I can't keep this pace forever and that there is no way I could do this for 13.1 miles.  I kept yelling at my friend that I couldn't do it, but he just kept saying yes you can and don't think about it. Well those of you who really know me, know that I am an over thinker.  So he must be joking to tell me not to think about.  My running has become so mental that I don't just trust that my body can do it.

Well we made it through the run, huge hills and all.  I did fall once, tripped right over a part of the sidewalk that was raised, totally landed on my hands and knees.  Two minutes before that I was even thinking that I should fake trip so that I could slow down. I will never think that again.  This poor lady was right next to me when I fell and she was so startled and worried. HA HA, little does know, I am a professional klutz.

Best part of the night was when we had to rush to Starbucks to use the bathroom because we both had to pee so bad.  I thought I was going to have to go behind a bush in Yorba Linda and then be arrested for indecent exposure.

Anyways, as we were driving to our next stop, I tried to talk my friend into changing our goal time for Sunday to 2:20, I mean this sounded a little more reasonable to me.  He isn't having it.  He said to not think about it and just follow him.
I swear this is how he runs, so much energy and so happy (I secretly love this about him)




When I got home and was cooking my dinner I thought about what we discussed and what was a head of me. 

There were two things he told me:
1. a mile is just and f-ing mile, there is nothing glamorous about it. It is not easy, but you get through it and move on to the next one. In that mile you doubt yourself, find yourself, push yourself and enjoy yourself
2. Just throw up and then get going again (I told him this once)

Basically, stop thinking about it and just get the shit done.  It's not like I haven't ran 14 other Half Marathons before. It's not like I  can't do it, so just don't think about it.  I just need to go out there on Sunday, follow my friend and stop thinking.  I am my worst enemy and I need to learn how to be my best supporter (in all things).

Stay tuned!!!

There will be more of these beauties on Sunday!!



1 comment: