Tuesday, November 5, 2013

No More Excuses

I had a goals meeting with my coach last night.  I went in thinking I would get to lower my calories since I wasn't seeing the results I was expecting. I left with instructions to tighten up my food and refocus.  Not exactly what I was expecting. 

He looked through my journal day by day for the last month as showed me where I was falling short. I figured since I make most of my meals and I stay within my calories I should be following the plan just fine.  Well that was not the case.  He pointed out every time we had gone out to eat, especially over the last weekend, and would not listen to any of my excuses.  I even tried to change the subject at one point, but he was not done giving me a hard time about my food.

I have to admit, after speaking with him, I can see where my food is lacking.  I was only making sure I was hitting my numbers, but I was not always thinking about what I was putting in my body.  It is no surprise that my body isn't changing how I would like it to.  I am not feeding my body what it needs to support the training I do and change the way I want it to.  I have become lazy when it comes to making the best choices for my body's needs. 

I tried to come up with excuses and push the blame, but in the end, I know I have no one to blame but myself.  I have the knowledge and the tools (recipes, scale, coach, supportive friends) to do what I need to do.  My body doesn't want to hear excuses, my coach doesn't want to hear excuses and I don't want to hear any excuses.  I was being lazy. I wanted to eat how everyone else was eating when it was convenient for me.  I can't just pick and choose when to be on point with my food.  I need to be on top of my food all the time or I will not get to my end goal.  I am responsible for myself and no one else can influence me to make bad choices.  I am a big girl and it is time for me to put those big girl pant back on and do what I need to do to get what I want.

I went home from the gym reignited and ready to focus on my food.  I cooked up a whole bag of asparagus, a couple turkey patties, and some chicken breast.  I even popped some oatmeal banana cookies in the oven this morning.  These cookies are healthy, with only 3 ingredients (recipe below). I will get back to journaling my food the night before, instead of in the morning when I don't have as much time.  I plan on spending more time in the kitchen experimenting with recipes, which I love doing. 

Oatmeal Banana Cookies:

Ingredients:
1. 2 ripe bananas
2. 1 cup instant oats
3. One Serving Organic Peanut Butter (I added this, you don't have to)

Directions:
1. Mash the bananas
2. Mix in the oats and peanut butter
3. Put on a cookie sheet, I was able to make 11 in my batch
4. Bake on 350 degrees for 15 minutes

Stats for 1 cookie: 51 calories, 8 carbs, 2 fat, 1 protein, 1 fiber

I figure these cookies will be a good/healthy snack when I want something.

I don't want to bore everyone with my food, but I will be keeping up on it and I will report back to everyone how I am doing.  I am going to be completely honest, so if I slip up, I will tell all of you.  Although I don't plan on slipping up.  I am worried about our trip to NYC at Thanksgiving, but  if I want the results I have to make the choices and sacrifice. 

I told my coach that I didn't like any of his answers last night, but I know it is what I needed to hear.  I am at a point where a calorie is no longer just a calories.  Eating a Sprinkles Cupcake and telling myself it is okay because I didn't go over my calories doesn't work.  Down with the cupcake!!!

 
As much as I love them, it is time to breakup!! 

3 comments:

  1. I COMPLETELY understand how you feel. It suuuuuuuuuucks that the food really is that important. And it's so hard to stay motivated! It's why I signed up for the bikini thing. For me, I have to have something to look good for. It's the only thing that holds me accountable. Maybe schedule some sort of photo shoot...even if it's just for yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true when they say it is 80%- 90% diet. It's hard because you want to be doing what everyone else is doing, but you want to look a certain way. I will be signing up for a bikini contest in the future for sure. I like your idea of a photo shoot. I might have to schedule one. They always have deals on Groupon for sexy photo shoots.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing Suzi! The cookie recipe looks delicious, I'm going to try that this week. I'm right there with you on trying to eat better. I find myself saying " I worked hard at the gym today, I can eat a cupcake." , but in the end it's only hurting me. We have to keep each other motivated to eat a better lifestyle. Keep on sharing!

    ReplyDelete