Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Things to think about...

I recently came across something interesting on the internet, 13 Thinks Mentally Strong People Don't Do, I started to look at this list and analyze how I approach these items. 

Here are my thoughts about each item:

1. They Don’t Waste Time Feeling Sorry for Themselves
I actually think I do a pretty good job with this. I don't like to dwell on things too much and therefore I don't feel sorry for myself too often.  There are days that I don't feel the best, but I try my hardest not to let it slow me down.  I try to remember that feeling sorry for myself isn't going to solve anything.

2. They Don’t Give Away Their Power
I used to be really bad about this and allowed others to dictate how I should act or what I should do. As I have matured I believe I have taken back the power of my life.  I am the one who has to live with myself and I should be doing things that make me happy or I know is right for me.

3. They Don’t Shy Away from Change
I actually really enjoy change (except when it comes to food).  I like to try new things and go new places.  I don't fear moving on to something new or letting go of something.  I am not saying it is easy, but I don't mind it. Now when it comes to food, I don't like to try something new at a restaurant if there is something I already know I like.  I worry I won't like what I have ordered and then I am stuck with it. HA!

4. They Don’t Waste Energy on Things They Can’t Control
This is probably something I am the worst at.  I want to be in control at all times. I want to be able to plan every second of my life and have things happen the way I want them to happen.  I am very uncomfortable when I am not in control of something.  I spend a lot of time thinking about things that I wish I had control over, but in the end I don't.  This is a big waste of my energy and I need to learn how to stop this.

5. They Don’t Worry About Pleasing Everyone
Here is another item I could work on.  I too often worry about if I am doing to right thing and keeping everyone happy.  Trying to keep everyone happy is exhausting and most times it is impossible.  Another point I need to work on.

6. They Don’t Fear Taking Calculated Risks
I am all about stability and feeling safe.  No matter how calculated a risk is, I still am afraid of it and very uncomfortable with it.  I was scared when we bought our house, I had to be pushed into it.  Now, here we are 5 years later and I love my house. The unknown scares me but sometimes it is necessary.

7. They Don’t Dwell on the Past
I live too often in the past.  I truly try to just look at now and the future, but I find myself suddenly wrapped up in the past.  This is a hard habit to break, but I am working on letting go of the past as I cannot change them. 

8. They Don’t Make the Same Mistakes Over and Over
Finally something I can say I don't do.  Learning from our mistakes is important, we can't be a better person if we don't make mistakes, learn from them and the apply what we have learned.  This is something I have learned as I have grown up and been married forever.  I really try not to make the same mistake twice.  (Unless it has to do with cleans in the gym, I make the same mistake over and over, it is very frustrating)

9. They Don’t Resent Other People’s Success
I try to be happy for everyone's successes.  Now, that is not to say I am not human and sometimes I am a little jealous.  I try to never let my bit of jealousy show and only try to celebrate their success. I love when those around me are successful and I truly enjoy seeing them happy.  Plus, it helps me to push myself that much harder to be successful too.

10. They Don’t Give Up After the First Failure
Ha, if I gave up after the first failure, I would never do anything.  There are many things that take me more than once to succeed at.  I believe failure is part of the learning and growing process.

11. They Don’t Fear Alone Time
I love my alone time. I enjoy being able to do whatever I want and not having to answer to anyone. Now, that isn't saying I like a lot of alone time.  There were times when Lido would be gone for long periods of time, I didn't like that. I can't be alone with myself for that long, I start to drive myself crazy.

12. They Don’t Feel the World Owes Them Anything
I believe everyone should work for what they have.  When you are handed something, I don't think you appreciate it as much as if you had to work for it.  I have had a pretty great life, but I also had to work hard for the things I have.  I am thankful for all that I have.

13. They Don’t Expect Immediate Results
I don't expect immediate results, but damn it would be nice if it worked that way. HA!

I really enjoyed going through this lists and thinking about how I act as compared to the list.  There are things I need to work on, but I still have time and you can always teach this old dog new tricks. 

How do you measure up to this list?  Would you consider yourself a mentally strong person?  Hope you are all having a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment