Monday, November 4, 2013

No Negative Nancy's Allowed

My gym participated in a competition this Saturday and I was one of the competitors.  I had a great partner, who kicks butt everyday in the gym. She is constantly impressing me with her strength and stamina.  I was so excited when she agreed to be my partner.  I don't know what happened on Saturday, but our team just didn't have it.  I take the blame since she is amazing and I was obviously the weakest link. It is very true when they say you are only as strong as your weakest player, well that was me.

 
My poor partner is so used to being the one on the podium and she had me as a partner. I was totally our of my element on top of everything.  I don't exercise on grass and I don't exercise in the heat and sun. I know those are all excuses for my poor performance, but it is true.  I went into the competition nervous, which is usual, I mean who likes having people watch them do Burpees and Bear Crawls. No one wants to see my butt up in the air while crawling on the grass.  Not a pretty site. I expected that we would at least finish our first heat strong, and we were doing pretty well until the darn Bear Crawls in the grass.  It seemed like we had to crawl and entire mile.
 
I am pretty sure this sloth would go faster than I was.
 
I am not sure where we ended up in our heat.  I know our time was 7:01 and I was expecting us to go a lot faster. My legs were on fire after the first heat and there was still two more to go.  Now, I know I run Half Marathons, but all that means is a can run long distances at a slow pace.  The next two heats involved running, short distances at a fast pace.  This would be my kryptonite.  First off, no one should ever do anything called "Suicide" anything.  I went into the second heat wondering what the hell was a Suicide Run. I quickly found out and wanted to injure myself.  Again, no one should watch me run on a basketball court in the sun with a ball that weighs 15 pounds but feels like it weighs 50 pounds.  I came close to puking a couple of times, but got through it with my protein bar still in my stomach. I take that as a small victory.
 
 
 
The last heat had running, sit-ups, more running and then walking lunges the length of two basketball courts.  Really? Why? That is just torture.  Well we started our run and was right at the back of the pack.  What are you going to do?  Thought about tripping people, but there was too many witnesses. Then we get to the sit-ups.  We couldn't get our rhythm down and just kept laughing. Our judge kept telling us to go faster and we would, while he watching, then we would start laughing.  My partner tried to bail at 50 sit-ups (we needed 60), I had to tell her to come back. We finally knocked those out and then had to run again.  I won't go into detail about what we were saying when we were running an no one was near us, but it would make some people blush.  Then on to the walking lunges over lava (ok, there was no lava, but it felt like it). I wanted to die, it felt like it was 100 degree outside and my partner was way ahead of me.  We finished... finally.  I don't know our time, I don't believe we were last, but who the hell knows.  I don't think I even knew my name at this point.
 
So, what do I take away from the experience?  I suck! Just kidding, but there is lots of room for improvement on my part. I went into this competition feeling prepared and learned I was not as ready as I thought I was.  Even with the competition being way out of my comfort zone, I had a blast with my gym.  Train Insane has the best bunch of people.  They are all so supportive and positive (and good liars when they tell you that you did a good job). 
 
Train Insane killed it!!!
 
Thank you to Ashley for being my partner, I owe her big time for taking me on as a partner, although I didn't give her much choice. 
 
I figure I can sit here and be negative about the competition or take it as a learning experience and set some new goals.  Although I still think that no one should ever do bear crawls in front of an audience.  I had a great time with great people and I got a great workout in, right? There is no time to be negative.
 
True Dat!!
 
Happy Monday!! 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking it out! I wanted no part of that competition! You're a trooper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawnya, it wasn't easy, but it was fun too. I had a lot of laughs with the TI team. I am sure I would do it again, but hoping for less running.

      Delete
    2. It was so much fun being around everyone and cheering for our awesome gym. After that day, I felt like I needed to refocus my workouts and really push myself at the gym. Lately, I feel like i'm not pushing myself hard enough and I'm settling for mediocre. Hopefully that will all change in the next couple of weeks. See you soon!

      Delete