Thursday, October 31, 2013

In the Kitchen

Last night I decided I wanted to try a new recipe, I was getting tired of the usual for dinner.  I had taken out ground turkey meat before I left in the morning for work, so that was the only requirement, had to use ground turkey.  I follow a lot of blogs and health sites, so I knew I would be able to find something.  I went to Skinny Mom and typed in ground turkey, easy as pie.  What came up is one of our new favorite recipes.

 
Skinny Cheeseburger Pie
 Ingredients:
1. Ground turkey (I used one package of 93%/ 7% ground turkey since I buy that at Costco in bulk)
2. 1/2 onion chopped
3. 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (you could leave this out and use some other seasoning, didn't make a difference to me)
4. 1 Clove Garlic (I didn't use this because I didn't have any)
5. 3/4 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used 2% cheese)
6. 1 Egg
7. 1 cup nonfat cheese (I only had reduced fat)
8. 1 package reduced fat crescent rolls
9. Slice of tomato
 
Instructions
  1. Brown Turkey Onion & Garlic in a pan. 
  2. Drain meat of fat/grease. Mix Worcestershire sauce in with meat mixture.
  3. Place rolls in pie pan (or 8x8 pan) to make crust (I used a pie pan, but I think I will use a square one next time you will want to go up the sides a bit)
  4. Pour meat mixture into pan
  5. In a separate bowl, mix cottage cheese with egg.
  6. Pour cottage cheese mixture over meat in the pie pan.
  7. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
  8. Place tomato slices on top. (I did 4 big slices and then filled in the holes with the more)
  9. Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes – let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
 
The recipe says it makes 8 servings, but I served them as 4 larger servings.
 
My Stats: 508 Calories, 31 Carbs, 25 Fat, 43 protein
 
Next time I make this I will switch the cheese to make it have less fat, maybe switch the cottage cheese to fat free too.  Since I used the whole container of ground turkey, it was really meaty, which I liked!  We are having the leftovers for lunch today.  Higher calorie count than I usually do for lunch, but I will work my food around it.  At least I won't be tempted to eat at the office potluck.
 
Not the best picture, but it was good.
 
I have a lot of new recipes I will be working with soon, so stay tuned!!  I even have a few desserts to try out. I will be making Healthy Chicken Fried Rice tonight. 
 
Looking forward to handing out candy tonight, get it out of the house so I am not tempted.  Good thing it has been hidden in the house for the past 3 weeks!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzi! You list cottage cheese in the instructions but it's not listed in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, it is in step 5, you mix it with the egg. :)

    ReplyDelete