Monday, October 14, 2013

Long Beach Half Marathon

Yesterday was the Long Beach Half Marathon yesterday.  Long Beach holds a special place in my heart, since it was the first half we ever did.  I always look forward to running this race as I love the course and I love all the support.  That is, until yesterday's race...

I went to the race not really ready, I don't do much running training, just my gym workouts and some extra cardio.  I just wanted to go out there and run it, well not really, I tried to back out a couple of times, but hubby wouldn't let me.  Well, his hip was bothering him so he said he was going to run it with me.  This was decided that morning as we were walking down to the race. He is a really good runner, it takes him little effort to run fast and he makes it look easy.  I got a PR back in June of 2:25, but wasn't really thinking I could do any better since that course had a lot of down hill.  Well, he suggested I aim for 2:15, yeah, that means I would have to take 10 minutes off my last race time, which I worked hard for. I told him if I got that time, I would retire from running because that would be a one time deal.  I used to run races in 3:10, so I am pretty happy with all my progress.

We arrived to the race early (like rally early).  The race didn't start until 7:30 and we were there at 5:45.  So, we hung out for a while, people watched and even walked back to the car to get some water.  When it was time to start the race, there was Lido, lined up with me.  I am not used to this, I am usually lined up by myself.  So this already threw me off my routine. 

Us hanging out waiting for the Full Marathon to start.
 
At the starting line, waiting to go.

Then it was time to start.  I was going pretty strong, keeping up with Lido, who was pacing me, not getting a side ache at Mile 1 was awesome, that is where I usually get them. I could tell I was working harder than I usually do,  but I wasn't dying. I later found out that I was staying at a 10 min mile pace.  Then we got to the hill, turns out I run up hills way faster than I run down them.  Lido was frustrated by this, but oh well, that's how I attack hills. Then I hit a wall! I was only at mile 3 and I was ready to be done.  I still had 10.1 miles left and I was ready to walk it or just drop out all together. I looked up and there was Lido in front of me running with little effort and looking back at me.  He kept reminding me to drink my water, but I didn't want to, I just wanted to feel sorry for myself and quit.

We just kept running. I tried to zone out and listen only to my music, but my body was already hurting and screaming to stop.  I was breathing a little harder than usual, but nothing I couldn't handle.  I had to pee this whole time, usually I can run through it and it goes away, but I was at mile 4 or 5 and I still had to pee.  We stopped real quick so I could pee and we were off again.  We got to the part of the race that is along the beach and that is where it go really bad.  We were running right into the sun (stupid late start) and it was feeling hot.  I wasn't doing my usual people watching, just watching Lido check is watch and tell me to drink water, grr.  Then I started feeling like I was over heating.  We went to one of the showers on the beach and sprayed me down, but that only helped for a little while.  One Lady fell on the path and I kind of wished it was me so I would have an excuse to walk.

We turned off the beach around mile 10 and Lido looked back and said it was just a straight shot now and only 3.1 miles left. Only 3.1 miles left, give me a f-ing break!! I am dying back here and don't even want to run .1 miles. I was over the whole freaking running thing and wanted to pay someone with a bike to take me to the end.  I was seriously thinking about how I had $20 in my water bottle and could I get someone to take me. But, I kept running, although I think it looked like walking.  Lido ran over to one of the spectators and got a donut, he tried to offer it to me, but I was working too hard not to throw up to eat a donut.  Stopped at a water station and dumped two cups of water on me. At this point I think Lido was pretty frustrated with me.  I had slowed down so much, but I just didn't feel like I had anything left.  Lido told me if I didn't stop at all and kept at this really slow pace I might tie my last time.  Really slow pace?  WTF, I was going as fast as I could.  We finally finished the race and I just wanted to collapse.

When we got to the beer garden and went to the Beach Bum section (special section for those who have ran the race 3 or more times in a row) I was so happy to be done, sitting and drinking my beer.  I had finished one of the most mentally challenging races ever.  I didn't die, I didn't kill Lido and I was barely slower than my best race.  I can't really complain too much about it.  I was admiring my medal when I realized they gave me a freaking 5K medal.  There was no way that I endured all that just to walk away with a 5K medal.  We quickly finished our beers and then went to 50 different people (ok only 5K to get the correct medal.

In the Beach Bum Beer Garden, celebrating!

Now it is the day after the race, I am hobbling around today, but happy I ran the race and went through all that I went through.  A part of me wanted to give up half marathons for good yesterday, but now I am in a better mind set and have already registered us for the next one.  I told Lido he could pace me for it and he just laughed.  If it wasn't for him yesterday, there is no way I would of finished in the time that I did.  As much as I wanted to kill him yesterday, he did a great job of supporting me and keeping me moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment